Thursday, October 27, 2011

cute, easy, fun apron from the crafts dept.

I’ll admit that having not touched the sewing machine in over 2 years, I was a bit worried how this would go. But, thanks to the wonderful tutorial from the crafts dept., and Natalie and Jen’s encouragement, jumping back into sewing was pretty fun!
You can find this apron tutorial at http://thecraftsdept.marthastewart.com/2010/06/apron-tutorial.html
Here is my journey through it
First, I printed out the pattern, cut it out, and pieced it together. Although, first I had to piece together enough of the pink lining fabric in order to to have enough. The patchwork patten for the front fabric turned out to be really appropriate for this apron since everything ended up being patched together!
DSC00668
Next, I pinned the pattern onto both pieces and cut the shapes out.
DSC00671
DSC00672
Did the same for the pocket, and pinned it in place.
DSC00675
Since I didn’t have twill tape, I decided to make my own ties using, you guessed it, pieced together scraps. I cut 2” strips and sewed 2 together to make a sturdier strap.DSC00676
Of course I didn’t have enough to make them all one color, so the neck ties are made from pink material. Once I made all the ties, I pinned them in place and sewed them.DSC00680
Last, I placed the lining fabric on top of front side, ties inside, and sewed all around leaving an 8” hole at the bottom. I turned it inside it out, revealing the ties. Then, I hemmed the bottom and sewed 1/4” around the entire apron.
This is the mess I made of my living room.
 DSC00683DSC00687
And, this is the finished product.
apron_27OCT2011DSC00688
Next project, pot holders from prudentbaby. http://www.prudentbaby.com/2010/12/pretty-potholders.html

2 comments:

  1. very impressed!!! next up, NJ winter wardrobe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the apron! The pink ties are perfect! Are there patterns for baby aprons?

    ReplyDelete